Its amazing how primers, big and small have become beauty staples in the last few years. I still remember when M.A.C. sent me their first ever face primer and I had zero clue what I was supposed to do with it. Now I can’t fathom putting on my foundation or B.B. cream without first apply a primer. These days there is a different kind primer for everything from face to eyes to hair and something for every different kind of problem you are trying to mask. With so many players on the field, I’ve rounded up the staples that every gal (or guy) should have in their beauty wardrobe.
Hydrated skin helps all the other beauty products work they way they were meant too, so if your skin is feeling a bit parched, reach for one of these hydrating primers .
1. Too Faced Hangover Primer using coconut water to help boost your skin into tip-top shade.
2. Luminess Air Moisturizing Primer uses Vitamin E and Olive extracts to help hydrate skin.
3. SMASHBOX Photo Finish Hydrating Primer uses a desert plant extract Hydraplex to help seal in moisture for a healthy finish.
Sometimes all we want is that perfect “JLo” glow, but using highlighters tends to leave us looking less JLo and more disco ball. These illuminating primers will give you that perfect little glow.
1. Shiseido Glow Enhancing Primer adds just a touch of glow with the added benefit of of SPF15
2. Maybelline Master Prime Blur + Illuminate is another great way to get the perfect glow for under $10.
Let’s face it, there are somedays when our faces are just not giving us their all. Those are the days to pull out the big guns, and my big guns I mean the blurring effect primers that help to minimize all of our little problems.
1. SMASHBOX Photo Finish Foundation Primer is like the cure all for what ales you. In one step this primer will help to reduce the look of fine lines and soften pores all with an SPF 20 to help keep the sun from doing anymore damage.
2. Maybelline Master Prime Blur + Smooth will do a lot of the same work i.e. blurs pores and smooths line only for under $10 (but no SPF).
Eye shadow primer is a must, they help keep the natural oils in your eyelids from messing up all the hard work it took to craft that perfect smokey eye. The Too Faced Shadow Insurance is hands down the best eye primer I’ve tried (and I’ve tried a lot). The original is the perfect nude color so it won’t effect your eye shadows color and is shimmer free which is great for those days when you’re for a matte effect.
Hair? Yes, hair needs a primer to help protect from things like heat and nature. While you could apply about 20 different products to your hair, you’re better off just using the Alterna Caviar CC Cream. This baby does everything from giving your hair more shine and moisture to protecting it from breakage and heat damage.